Someone sent this to me in an e-mail and I wanted to share it. I think we could definitely put a dent in the budget if we followed these guidelines:
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12.
8. There should be a salary cap.
9. Term limits for Senate and Congress because our founding fathers did not intend for Senators and Congressman to have lifetime appointments! Feinstein has been in office for how long????