September 5, 2009

District 9 - Dont waste your money!


Photobucket

DBF Michael and I went to see District 9. I have to admit, I had my doubts when Michael first showed me the trailer. After seeing the reviews from the Yahoo Viewers and the Critics, I decided to give it a shot. There is only one thing to say, the Critics must be smoking dope because it was awful!! The background for the story is as follows:

In 1982, an alien ship stops directly above Johannesburg, South Africa. Reports suggest the ship became stranded after a command module separated from the ship and dropped to Earth, nowhere to be found. After cutting their way inside, a team discovers a large group of malnourished and leaderless arthropod-like aliens. The creatures, whom they derogatorily call prawns, are taken from the ship and housed in a government camp inside Johannesburg called District 9, which eventually turns into a slum. In the first decade of the 21st century, Multinational United (MNU), a private military contractor, is placed in charge of policing and relocating the 1.8 million aliens to District 10, a new camp 240 kilometers northwest of Johannesburg. Wikus van de Merwe (Sharlto Copley) is an MNU field operative assigned to manage the relocation operation. During the process, he gets sprayed with something the aliens made and he begins to turn into an alien himself.

About 20 minutes after that, we decided it wasnt going to get better. Not to mention, they shot it like an old documentary so the picture quality was total crap. The story, although original, ended up being completely stupid. I cant believe they are still putting butts in the seat for this movie. They must have read the same reviews we did. This is the last time I listen to the Critics. Their taste is obviously all in their mouth.

I give this movie 2 thumbs WAY down.....dont waste your money!!


2 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Thanks for the heads up. Not generally the type of storyline that interests me. I have a feeling it is probably Peter Jackson's name that is putting those butts in the seat.

digapigmy said...

wow, only the most refreshingly original science fiction movie since the matrix. nice review.