April 1, 2008

Being a Military Mom

Most of you know, from past blogs, that I have a son in the Navy. Heck, all you have to do is look at my sidebar. I found out recently that my son will be going to Iraq in October. My heart is breaking. This is the child I raised to be the best person he can be, to succeed in life, and to do the right thing. True, we had our share of ups and downs from ages 15 to 17, teenagers aren't easy people to understand. He put me thru hell and made me age about 10 years in a 2 year period. Putting all that aside, I just cant believe that he is going to a place filled with such hate for Americans and I wont be there to protect him. The military has trained him to be a soldier, that's what they do, but how do they prepare the parents? How do you equip a mother for something like this? He will be fighting in a war I don't understand for people that don't want his help. I think the military itself does a great job of grooming young men, who without that program, might be otherwise lost in the chaos of life. I come from a military family and I accept the fact that we must protect our freedom. I don't agree with dieing for the sake of oil. We have lost over 4000 soldiers in this war. Please God, don't let my son be another statistic. I pray for the families of all the lost and wounded children we have sent to battle. He believes in what he does and is willing to die for his country. I, on the other hand, am not willing to lose my son. I hope that the next person they put in office will bring our soldiers home. I know the election wont be soon enough to keep my son from going but maybe it will keep someone else's son or daughter from making that voyage. I will keep politics out of this because I have a strong belief that if a certain someone is elected (McCain), we will never end this war. I'm proud to be a Military Mom and I am going to stand behind my son, since I wont be in a position to stand in front of him. I just hope and pray, pray, pray that something positive comes from this whole experience. May Steven learn to appreciate all the freedoms that we have in this country and may he never be put in the position to take someones life. God bless our soldiers and their families!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


3 comments:

escape said...

that's something you can really be proud of. we hope that there will be less or better yet no casualties from these wars.

The Gal Herself said...

Your post breaks my heart. I think of the kids over in Iraq and Afghanistan often and try to make it clear that while I do not support this war, I support them. Amazingly, until you opened my eyes, I did not consider the parents. I am speaking only for myself here -- but it makes me nuts when those who are in favor of this war are NOT in favor of sending their own kids. That is one thing I give John McCain -- he was a war hero and he has a kid over there now, so he's willing to help shoulder the burden.

Please know that from now on, when I worry about those brave kids who volunteered to face danger on my behalf, I will also worry about mothers like you.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers Lori.
God bless all the military families.

Beautiful tribute to them all

My Little Drummer boys