April 25, 2008

Does money really buy happiness?

A leading cause for divorce in todays society is money. More often than most, its the lack of it. You usually start off playing the "Blame Game" and it goes down hill from there. Either one person doesnt make enough or someone is spending too much. Why? In the beginning, we all have a plan. You share your hopes and dreams with a promise to do everything you can to make the person that you love happy. Does it always need to involve finance? Personally, its the little things that make me happy. I dont require diamonds and furs, nor do I need to drive the nicest car on the block. Money doesnt need to equal happiness. They dont go hand in hand. Its true, when there is a lack of money and you find yourself struggling to pay your bills on a month to month basis, it could play a big roll in your relationship. However, you must realize that its not the MOST important thing. As a single mother, I have spent alot of time without it. I learned how to entertain my children as cheap as I possibly could and I dont remember ever being miserable. No, it wasnt always a piece of cake. I wanted to give my kids more but they never really pushed the subject and it appeared as though they were always happy. Why cant couples learn the same concept? You need to talk about your problems and work them out rather than looking for someone to point the finger at as a reason for the relationships demise. It takes two to make it work, not one. Pencil out your problems and work thru them. Children set a great example. Have you ever watched them playing in the park? Life should be like that. We need to learn to be more carefree like the children and then maybe that will lead us to be happier adults.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


6 comments:

Darla said...

This is so true. I feel really fortunate that we don't have money problems... but then I know people with larger incomes who do fight about money, so it's not about how much you have, but about how much you're content with.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. We need to learn to live w/in our means. There is so much junk out there and do we really NEED that junk...? nope. Not me. I am happy w/a roof over my head !

storyteller said...

Excellent post filled with appropriate ‘food’ for thought … and the quote on the lovely purple rose is PERFECT!!! Thanks for reminding us all of the secret to happiness so eloquently.
Hugs and blessings,

Addicted to crafting said...

Money doesn't buy happiness. It just makes misery more comfortable. ;)

Jaxy08 said...

Sometimes it is the money that is used as the reason (or excuse) for the divorce, but there are so many other things that are stirring up the pot. My ex is the "Disney Dad". Every time he spends time with the kids it is an adventure. He does not realize that all they want is for him to love them and get to know them.

Anonymous said...

As a single parent, I've come to be content with my financial situation rather than always striving for that ever higher tax bracket. There are things that are way more important than having the latest this or that.

Having said that, I still believe that although money will never make you happy in and of itself, you will never be happy without a certain level of financial security.