February 15, 2009

Gordon Ramsay at the London


Photobucket


Last night we went to Gordon Ramsay's restaurant in Hollywood. I am a big fan so to say I was excited is an understatement. I faithfully watch his shows "Hell's Kitchen" and "the "F" word." I know his attention to detail along with excellent cooking skills are what keep people around the world wishing they could try his food. I have never been to a fine dining restaurant. Its not something you see in my neck of the woods but I'm willing to try anything once, within reason. Slimy stuff or things that are still looking at me will never cross my palate.

The menu was pricey but the food was everything I had imagined. The service staff was always there to make sure we were taken care of. Not only did we have one server, we had multiple. It seemed that everyone employed there were committed to making sure our experience was wonderful. Each staff member that brought out a dish of the 7 course meal, not only brought us new silverware, but explained what we were about to eat. You only had a choice between two entree's, the rest was a set menu. Here is what we ate:

Valentine’s Day

Canapés

~ Steamed hearts of palm chawanmushi ~

Mushroom carpaccio with aged balsamic, toasted pine nuts, shaved parmesan ~

Roasted hand dived sea scallops with cherry gazpacho, apple and walnut salad ~

Steamed sea bass with cauliflower purée, fresh Scottish langoustine, paddle fish caviar ~

Brant beef fillet with braised ox cheek, Savoy cabbage and baby carrots, port wine jus~

Rose water sabayon with raspberries and lychee~

Chocolate cylinder with passion fruit cream, mint granité and coconut foam ~


If I had to choose my favorite thing it would be the Brant beef. Although the scallops were superb. I tried ox cheek. It tasted like shredded beef to me. The thing I liked the least was the dessert. Although, Gordon isn't known for his desserts. There were just flavors going on that didn't do anything for me but I tried everything. I wasn't very fond of the sea bass but the Scottish langoustine was delicious. The downfalls to the whole experience were the location of the restaurant. It wasn't visible from the street as it sat inside of a hotel. Also, the seating. We didn't have much privacy. The couple next to us was probably about 3 feet away. Other than that, the over all experience was something to remember. I'm so glad I finally got to try the food he is so well known for. It made for a wonderful Valentines day. If you have a couple hundred dollars to spare, I would definitely check it out. Its worth the hype.

No comments: