July 26, 2008

Vitamin drinks...are they safe?

It appears that we have a new generation of kids that are hooked on energy drinks. One of the original products on the market is Monster. Is this really something that we want our children drinking? I personally cant stand the smell of them but in addition, they are not allowed in my house. I see young kids drinking this stuff like water. These types of drinks are filled with sugar and caffeine to the next level. I'm not sure if this is an alternative to stimulants (which Im sure alot people use them for), nor do I know if that makes it any better then street drugs, I only know that it disturbs me to see young kids down these one after the other. If a child is on medication, they may have a reaction. Case in point, Concerta for ADHD. Don't kids have enough energy as it is without adding a stimulate to the mix? If you read the literature out there, most people get enough of their vitamin intake in the foods we eat. They use the sales pitch that this stuff is good for you. Not anymore than Mountain Dew. If you're an adult and coffee just doesn't do it for you, then you are old enough to make your own decision. However, I would think twice before allowing your children to drink it. My thoughts on this stuff is......there should be an age limit. Read the labels. If you haven't had one before, try it and see how it makes you feel. Then, imagine yourself 100 pounds less...as a child. These types of drinks have not been around for long so we aren't even sure of the long term effects yet. Why take that chance, especially with the kids? Do some research on this stuff before you buy it. This is just an opinion from one concerned parent to another. What do you think? Do you let your kids drink it?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


1 comment:

Laura said...

My kids appear to have enough energy without the drinks!! But no I wont let them drink these drinks! I dont drink them - I have had varied rather extreme reactions so wouldnt let them try!