December 1, 2007

Anti-Depressants..... The new way to cope!

It seems that these days, the only way people are getting over heartache is from the help of anti-depressants. The wonder drug that makes all the pain go away and helps you cope with your day-to-day reality. What did people do 50 years ago when they didn’t have a crutch to lean on? I’m not knocking it, as I needed a little help 5 years ago when I was going thru a devastating break up, but I wonder why doctors are so quick to prescribe medications these days?? It’s just like anything else people use to numb themselves. From street drugs to alcohol, why is it any different because a doctor wrote it on a prescription pad?? I was on Effexor for about 6 months, and I can truly say, it worked for me. I didn’t have a care in the world. Nothing bothered me and it numbed all of my pain. The only real side effect was that I had no sex drive. I guess that is a good thing when you are going thru a break up. Although, sometimes having sex with someone else can help you get over the hump, but all in all it was some pretty good stuff. One day, I thought to myself – “Am I going to have to be on this forever to be happy?” I loved the way I felt but I didn’t want to have to rely on meds to get me thru life so I stopped cold turkey. Yikes!! I spent a week feeling really bad. I guess you’re suppose to wean yourself a little at a time. Oh well, I got thru it and haven’t gone back. Actually, I haven’t had a reason. I know a lot of people who are on some type of medication to alter their mind set these days. I guess, the bottom line is, whatever makes you happy, right?? I’m not one to judge but I know people have lived centuries without needing to sedate their way thru life. What’s wrong with our generation that we can only find happiness in a bottle? That’s pretty sad, isn’t it?

No comments: