December 2, 2007

Communication

How important is communication in any relationship? If one person tells all and the other tells nothing, how do you make it work? It seems, in looking at most of my friends and their relationships, the same thing kept coming up. The women talk, the men don’t. I wonder why that is and how you can have a healthy relationship when its one sided? Most women want men to open up, listen, and voice what they are feeling. They are not asking for answers or for them to fix all their woe’s, per say, but to definitely have input. Men, however, have a hard time doing this. Are they afraid of confrontation? Is it because they don’t want to appear vulnerable? Maybe they really don’t care, I don’t know, I am not a man. They say men are from Mars, and women from Venus. So how do you come to a happy medium where everyone feels satisfied both mentally, physically, and emotionally? They say one person usually gives more than the other. I am not sure if that is commitment to the relationship, emotions, or financially. I guess it can be all, one reason, or none of the above. There are people out there that have been married longer than the norm these days. How do they do it? It seems as though there is no such thing as “until death do us part” anymore. I believe that each relationship starts with a foundation and that’s built on trust and communication. You build from the ground up and hope that in the end, what you’ve built is sturdy enough to withstand the storms. Considering the longest relationship I’ve had was 8 years, I’m definitely not the expert on lasting relationships. So, what is the secret (if there is one) and how come no one is sharing it with the women?

3 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

My husband and I were together 6 years before getting married 18 years ago (my God, are we THAT old already??). Anyway, I think I got lucky (we are very, very happy), but I think Oprah gave the best advice: When people tell you who they are (through their actions or their words when you are getting to know them), believe them. I think a lot of people see only what they want to see in a mate and ignore other stuff that was there all along. I could be wrong, does that make any sense to you from your past relationships?

Lori said...

Well, I dont know about that as far as words. Actions yes. Ive had alot of bullshit lines told to me and many lies. Thats were the baggage comes in. Ive found, the older I get, the harder it is to trust. They say you should love like you've never been hurt, which would be nice, buts its easier said than done. Oprah is a very smart woman but she's never been married, so Id have to say, she has some trust issues as well. Her actions speak louder than her advise on this one:)

Addicted to crafting said...

communication is the key... Building a stong relationhsip takes time, trust, friendship and it takes 2 to tango. :)

I'm not in a relationship (romantic), I sometimes wish I was but these things are soo complicated now these days...

I don't want bullshit or non-sense from a guy...

I guess I'm not ready eh? :)