September 10, 2007

Younger men, is that the answer?

One day, you're ravishing each other, the next day, it's over. Is it something that happens gradually, or can it actually happen over night? Ive been in many types of relationships with different kinds of men, and I'm not sure I know the answer to that. I think as we get older, the things we tolerate change along with our ideals for the future. Once you've gone down the isle, had the happy marriage, and given birth to your children, you become a different person. When the happy couple is no longer happy, do you stick it out for the sake of the children and try to make it work or do you cut your loses and move on? I have been married twice, and have come close to it a few times as well. After a break up or divorce, you are no longer looking for a man that will be a good father per se, (meaning someone to bare children with) but he should be a positive role model for your children. However, what you are looking for is a man to spend the rest of your life with. Someone that will be with you thru good and bad, someone you can laugh with and talk to, and finding someone that totally rocks your world wouldn't be bad either. I wonder if after time, you just become so use to living single that you find excuses or reasons not to live happily ever after. Its either that, or the men that you find later on in life just have way too much baggage. They are damaged goods, not like when you were younger. When you're first starting your search for "Mr. Right" (in the early years), it seems that there was more of a variety to chose from. As you get older, well, like they say, the good ones are either married or gay. Ive always been optimistic of this concept because I want to believe it isn't true. However, the older I get, there are more signs that it may be a fact. So, what to do then?? Do we venture out as Demi Moore did and find a man 15 years our junior??Halle Berry is dating someone 9 years younger and there is a 17-year gap between actress Susan Sarandon and longtime boyfriend Tim Robbins. Yes, I know we aren't movie stars, but that doesnt change the idea of it all. If you cant find what you're looking for in someone your age or older, do you think its reasonable to try a younger man?? I, for one, have never dated anyone more than 5 years younger than myself but now I'm beginning to wonder. If older men can date younger women, why cant we date younger men??? They say a women reaches her sexual peek at 38 to 40 and a man at 18. Isn't that a cruel joke to play on women? My girlfriend swears by younger men, but I am still a skeptic. What do you think?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's to you Mrs. Robinson!!

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I always laugh about this. I'm eight months older than the Tour Manager. Eight months. Can you stand it?

Tee hee.

Gunfighter said...

Having been the younger man in many relationships (and in my marriage), I can say that it is very toften the best thing.

My wife is 6 and a half years older than me... I wouldn't change a thing.

Anonymous said...

When I was a teen, I was too "nice" for all the girls my age. So few dates. When I was in my 20's, just by being who I always am, "being me", I met and dated a number of women that were older. From a year or two older up to twelve and fifteen years older when I was 25.

The 37 y.o. thought I should find a nice girl my own age and settle down and have kids. The 40 y.o. thought we should get married, but by then I had spooked myself by wondering if I would still be interested in her 15 years later. I was not looking for the short haul. Unfortunately, because I did not feel as confident in my future faithfulness we did not get married (although looking back now I know it would have worked), and then dated women at or closer to my own age thereafter, with only one or two being younger. But 10 years ago I re-met an older woman, not one I had previously dated, but someone I knew of (but didn't really "know") who is 20 years older and whose son is just 6 months older than I am. We have now been married since 1999 and have a good life, a good marriage and just plain old good times. We're very much in love, we travel well together and even when we go out with friends find that we'd rather it just be us alone.

I've always told my wife, "age is a fact, not an issue". When someone invariably brings up health issues, I point out that people of all ages get ill, or injured every day and age related health issues are no different than those affecting someone younger.

There are so many other things to say, but. . .

My wife does say I should write a book about how to treat a woman, but I tend to think that those who might read it already know the answers and those who do need to read it would never buy it. Catch-22. This year I am 54 and she will be 75. And for the curious (or cynical), she has a small retirement, but not "money", and I have a career I enjoy, where we "get by".