November 4, 2007

Crockpots…a single parents best friend

I have never been a fan of cooking. Not now or ever. I have scrambled home after a hard day at work and did my best to throw together a nutritional dinner for my kids with little to no effort but it always turned in to a bigger presentation than I really had the energy for. UNTIL, I mastered the Crockpot. My mother bought one for me when I first went out on my own but I never appreciated it until I had 2 little mouths depending on me to feed them the minute I walked thru the door. Heck, my kids still ask me what’s for dinner and when. Although, my youngest son is a little more independent that my oldest son (who is now out on his own) but when he comes home for holidays, that’s the first thing out of his mouth. My mother instructed me to buy a timer and just plug the Crockpot in to that before I leave for work..Easy!! I put frozen meat in the pot along with water, salsa, BBQ sauce (depending on what I am making), the veggies on the bottom and VOILA!! As soon as you walk in the door, it smells like dinner is ready. If you are having something on the side, it’s a piece of cake to whip it up because the main course is already done. They have a few Crockpot recipe books out there with wonderful ideas, but I’m telling you as the voice of experience, you need to invest in one of these wonderful easy to use gadgets. They are a single mothers best friend and cost little to nothing. You can even freeze what you don’t use. I make everything from chili verde, ham hawks and beans, stew, shredded beef for burritos and salsa chicken in mine. You can make spaghetti sauce and regular chili too. If you have never experienced one of these fabulous machines, I suggest you go to your local Walmart and purchase yourself one as an early Christmas present. You wont be sorry.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


5 comments:

Robin said...

I have a crockpot, but my experience has been mixed to say the least. Some things have turned out great, others like shoe leather. I'm pretty limited though, since I can't get any of the cream of whatever soups and things like that that all these recipes seem to be based on. I like the idea of a crockpot so I keep trying, but I'm starting to get very discouraged.

Addicted to crafting said...

I've been thinking of asking one for christmas or buying myself one!!!

That would rock to leave in the morning with something in it and come home after 18h00 with a hot meal ready!!! I would adore that!!!

Any recommandation on which one to get? I'm single, live alone? but I leave at 7h00 AM and never back before 18h15....

:)

Anonymous said...

I love crock pots! I cook beans in them all of the time. Mmmmm...now I'm hungry.

Lori said...

Hey No Nonsense Girl!! I would suggest a 16 oz little dipper. They have small cookers just for singles. My Dad use to use it all the time. Just buy a timer and set it to start later in the day. If you use frozen food, its usually thawed but the time its time to cook. Always use a low setting. I suggest this one:
http://www.jardenstore.com/product.aspx?bid=17&pid=2031

TeaMouse said...

I love mine and I have to remember to use it more as when I do we eat a lot better and it's easier on the finances.