August 7, 2008

The last first day of school

I just took my son school clothes shopping for the last time. This year, he is finally a senior. I remember going school clothes shopping when I barely had the money to pay my bills, (most of the time the bills came second) and I was shopping for two. Its like a bitter sweet end to many years of struggles. This time, I didn't have to sweat the money. It felt good. I cant believe my baby is going to be in his last year of High School. If only I could tell him to savor every second, enjoy all the little things, and just have fun. I have already sent one son into the world and he appears to be doing pretty good. I'm a little more concerned about Brad. I think Ive done a good job of raising him but his character flaws are something I hope he can change as he turns into an adult. I am going to be teaching him alot more about independence in the coming year. That includes showing him how to wash his own clothes, how to put a roll of toilet paper on the holder, and where the empty cans go before they collect ants. Yes, I have told him over and over again but I am really going to stress it this time. He is going to learn that life isn't easy, nothing is free, and you get out of life what you put into it. His laziness needs to be modified to a more productive arena. I must say, I actually enjoyed our trip to the mall today. Not because I didn't need to carry a calculator around to tally up the totals, but because I got excited about him starting his senior year. He has never been one to shop, I usually did it for him and he never made a fuss. This time, he got to pick out what he wanted even though there was way too many black shirts with skulls!! I'm not sure what life has in store for him but I hope he enjoys this last taste of childhood. As we all know, its over way too soon. So here's to you Brad!! May your senior year be the best ever. This time next year, I'm going shopping for ME!!!!!!

2 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I'm behind visiting my T-13 visitors and trying to catch up this morning.

Your list below is a great one. I too look forward to Autumn. For the very same reasons. Except for the TV programs. Tho, I'm looking forward to the new season of House MD and Prison Break. LOL

Crazy Working Mom said...

Your school journeys are coming to an end, and mine are just beginning!