November 24, 2008

I own a home!

For the first time in my life I can actually say that I'm a home owner. What a great feeling and I couldn't have done it without my Dad. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us but there isn't a day that goes by I don't think about him. I'm 42 years old and have spent 20 years raising kids. The majority of that on my own. Robbing Peter to pay Paul was a regular occurance in our rented duplex apartment. At times I thought I would never make it thru. Unrelenting, is a very good word to describe me. That's what you have to be as a single parent. I just found out, also, that my loan was approved. I can now go forward with the changes I want to make to my house. Ive thought about planting a tree in my Dads honor as a memorial and to show thanks for what he has done for me.

Let me give you a little back story, he is not my biological father. He adopted me when he married my mother. I was only 4 at the time. Even after their divorce, which was only 5 years after their marriage, he still continued to be my Dad. His name was put on my birth certificate and he never made me feel any different than my sisters, who were his biological children. In the end, we all got houses without mortgages. I have alot of work to do on the house but it doesn't matter because MY name is on the deed. No words could ever express the gratitude and love I have for him. And sometimes when I'm alone, I can feel him watching over me. He wasn't a very verbal man when it came to saying "I love you", but we always knew he did. If I could say one thing to him now it would be "Thanks for all you've done Pop. I love and miss you very much." Now, its time to celebrate. Then, off to the store for a tree I think my Dad would like. Dont ever give up hope. Everything happens when its time. Be patient because good things come to those who wait.

No comments: