October 15, 2007

What is the definition of a good parent?

I think we are all human. We will have good parenting days and we will have days that we didn’t make the right choices. Kids don’t come with a manual so all you can do is know your child and make the right decisions based on what you know. Love your child unconditionally, provide for them the best you can, and always be there when they need you. In my eyes, that is the perfect parent. Although, I’ve noticed, in today’s society it seems that children are the ones in control. We, as parents, are almost afraid to discipline them for fear of being called a child abuser or bad parent. What happened? I believe in time out and I believe in taking away privileges. I don’t believe in beatings but a good swat on the behind from time to time for a stubborn child is what’s required. Have you ever seen that show Super Nanny?? I find myself laughing out loud at these parents that don’t know how to control their children that are 2, 3, & 4 years old and who are basically running the house. I don’t get it. When I was a child, we would have never gotten away with what children do now days. Being a single parent, I don’t and didn’t have the time to coddle my children. I did the best I could with what I had. Id like to know when the roles actually changed? We need to gain control of our children and guide them into being responsible adults. This may be the most important thing we will ever do as people. Its ok if your kids get mad at you…I’ve found, the kids that don’t get the discipline are the ones that are truly lost. Your kids may claim to hate you or be mad at you during their punishment, but in the end, it shows them how much you care and love them. It’s doing nothing that does the most damage. Any thoughts??

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


1 comment:

Nor said...

IMO, good parents fend for their children while better parents teaches their children the better way of living. But great parents love their children unconditionally. For in the end, no efforts could simply make a person who they gonna be. However, a parent's unconditional love will always be treasured as a lifetime legacy to child.

Am that child, now am trying to be that GREAT single dad for my kids.

Cheers!