August 17, 2007

What do you look for in a man??

When I was young, I dreamt of a knight in shining armor riding in on a horse that would sweep me off of my feet and take me to this beautiful house surrounded by a white picket fence. He had to be tall, dark, and handsome, funny, and most of all, he had to be rich. We were going to have 2 kids, a boy and a girl (of course) with one dog and one cat. Then, I met this boy in high school. He was tall, with curly blonde hair, and green eyes (very cute). He stole my heart. He didn’t have a horse, (or even a car for that matter but rather a skateboard), he wasn’t rich (he didn’t even have a job) but I feel in love. We dated thru high school and ended up married. That ended in divorce shortly afterwards and so did my ideals of the perfect man. The older we get and the more emotional baggage we retain along our journey modifies they way we think. For a long time I always focused on what I wanted, but now, its what I don’t want. He can’t be like this, he can’t look like that, no crazy ex wives or girlfriends, and kids are optional. I think the things we go thru in life definitely shape us into the adults we become, but is that a good thing? I want to believe in Mr.“Right” and not just Mr.“Right Now.” I want to believe that life will be easy some day and that I wont have to worry about finances when I get older. I want to grow old with someone that I like, and who makes me feel good as a person. I think divorce and break ups force us to form barriers around our hearts and keep us (at one extent) from growing as people. I’ve dated a lot in the past 5 years and I’ve come to the conclusion, there is no such thing as the perfect man. What there is are men, some with more baggage than others. Some with better personalities than others, and some that make more money than others. What you need to do is ask yourself, even though this man isn’t perfect, he is someone that I like?? Can I live with his faults and take him the way he is or would I be jeopardizing my ideals by settling for the sake of not being alone? Dating as a single parent (or person for that matter) isn’t easy but don’t rush and certainly, don’t settle. You might never find the man of your dreams who is perfect in every way (the odds are against it) but you may find someone you can live happily ever after with. Looks don’t last a lifetime. If you don’t like him as a person, it’s going to be a very lonely future. Try to love like you’ve never been hurt and that might help to determine a better future.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: